In this Part Two of my two part interview with Joe Sehee, Founder of the Green Burial Council, we discuss the three types of green burial, the origins of embalming fluid, and the “end of life revolution.”
New from Brant Huddleston
Honor the dead. Heal the living. Invite in the divine. What a beautiful mission statement, and one adopted by the Green Burial Council, which was founded by my guest Joe Sehee. Only a former Jesuit lay minister and street entertainer (see his amazing animated feature here) would come up with something that heartfelt, which is why Joe is such an interesting guest. In Part One, he and I discussed funeral industry greenwashing and ways we consumers can avoid getting duped. In Part Two you’ll learn about the difference between a natural, green, and conversation burial ground, and some lessons we both learned while working for IBM. It seems the funeral industry, like the computer industry before it, is being dragged forward…often kicking and screaming…into what Joe calls an “End of life revolution.” What are those forces? What revolution? Well listen in, and you’ll find out! But first, we pick up where we left off last time, discussing the origins of that mysterious mix we call embalming fluid. Drink up me lads and lassies, on Part Two of my interview with the founder of the Green Burial Council, Joe Sehee.
In this episode you will learn about:
- The origin of embalming fluid and the mortuary sciences
- Home DIY Funeral Movement
- Comparisons between IBM and Funeral Industries: How to affect change when entrenched and defensive
- The Innovator’s Dilemma: The Revolutionary Book That Will Change the Way You Do Business Paperback by Clayton M. Christensen
- The Conversation Burial Project
- Green Burial Council Honors Rabbi Stuart Kelman & Father Charles Morris with 2012 Leadership Award
- Habits of the Heart: Individualism and Commitment in American Life Paperback by Robert N. Bellah
- The Passing of Robin Williams
- Death Cafes
- The difference between a natural, green, and conversation burial ground
- Seneca ~ “The fates lead the willing and drag the unwilling”
- Film “Solace: Wisdom of the Dying” from Camille Adair
- Joe’s opinion on the greenest way to go
- Natural Transitions Magazine
- On what motivates me to do the podcast (“Yellow not black”)
Other "Green" Shows that Might Interest You
- A Natural, Earth Friendly Way to Come Back as a Tree, with Bios Urn Co-Inventor Roger Moline Navarro
- Where, How and Why to Choose a Green Burial with Ann Hoffner, author of "The Natural Burial Cemetery Guide: A State-by-State Guide. (in two parts)
- Going Out Green with Jeff Jorgenson, Director of Elemental NW ~ Seattle’s first and only all green funeral home
- As Below, So Above, with Joe Sehee, Founder of the Green Burial Council (in two parts)
- From Earth to Earth ~ Respectfully Composting Human Remains, with Susanne Wiigh-Mäsak, Founder of Promessa (in two parts)
Share the Love!
Your quick review on iTunes would help me a lot. It’s as easy as ABC! Just…
A) Look for the gold “Review Brant’s Show on iTunes” button below. Click there.
B) Then (in iTunes) click on “View in iTunes.” It’s the blue button under the iTunes logo. That will open iTunes. Finally;
C) Look for the “Ratings and Reviews” tab. Click there and work your magic!
Presto and grazie!